A comprehensive plan is best described as a 20 year framework for the city’s future. The plan will inform current and future decision makers where we’ve been, where we are today, where we want to go, and how we intend to get there. More specifically, it:
• Defines the city’s biggest assets and challenges for the future
• Makes recommendations about the type and character of development appropriate in different areas of the city
• Recommends and prioritizes policies, actions and resources to achieve the visions of the plan
• Serves as the guide for growth (development and redevelopment)
• Provides recommendations to the city in developing future capital budgets
• Serves as a guide for future zoning recommendations throughout the city
A comprehensive plan provides policy and direction in terms of land use, transportation, housing, city services, and other important aspects of the community. A summary of Plano's comprehensive plan history is provided below.